Dealing with Angry or Rude Customers
Copyright Ross Maynard 2021
If you work in customer service in any way, then, from time to time, you are going to have to deal with angry or rude customers. This course will help you manage those stressful situations and support the customer as best you can.
Anger is a normal and relatively common emotion caused by a perceived hurt or provocation. In some cases a customer’s anger or rude behaviour may be driven by the failings of your organisation or its products and services. In other cases, the problem may be outside your control but you still have to deal with the impact.
In this course we look at anger in a customer service situation and how to deal with it. We review the nature and causes of anger; we look at how poor customer service can cause anger and what you can do to prepare your organisation to deal with anger. We cover the warning signs for anger and present a 12 step approach to dealing with an angry customer. We cover questions and short scripts that can help you start a discussion with an angry customer, and we consider why customers might be rude. Finally we look at managing the stress of dealing with an angry customer and finish the course with a review of the key learning points.
I hope you find the course helpful.
Key Learning Points
On completion of the course, delegates will be able to:
- Understand the nature and causes of anger as an emotion.
- Consider their objectives when dealing with an angry customer.
- Help prepare their organisation for dealing with angry customers.
- Identify appropriate customer service metrics
- Work through a series of steps to deal with an angry customer.
- Use questions and short scripts to try to help a customer bring their anger under control .
- Consider why a customer might be rude, and how to deal with that rudeness.
- Understand how to manage the stress of dealing with angry or rude customers.
L1: Anger as an Emotion
L2: Your Objectives when Dealing with Anger
L3: Poor Customer Service
L4: Preparing your Organisation
L5: Warning Signs and What Not to Do
L6: The 12 Steps to Dealing with Anger
L7: Example Scripts for Angry Customers
L8: Dealing with Rude Customers
L9: Dealing with Stress, and Key Learning Points
There are no pre-course requirements
Copy of customer behaviour policy
Your tutor is Ross Maynard. Ross is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants in the UK and has 30 years’ experience as a process improvement consultant specialising in business processes and organisation development. Ross is also a professional author of online training courses.
Ross lives in Scotland with his wife, daughter and Cocker Spaniel