FABRIC MANIPULATION SKILLS: 6 (ONLINE)
(American Smocking; Shadowfolds; Paper Pleating, Paper Weaving & Paper Manipulation)
(12 Months Access)
What/Who is this Training Room for?
AT HOME or IN SCHOOL - A ‘LIMITED EQUIPMENT NEEDED’ CONSTRUCTED TECHNIQUES COURSE
This course is ideal for teachers who are facing classes with limited resources and equipment, or for students to complete at home.
A course full of exciting ideas and techniques for teachers of Textiles, Art & Design to include in an ‘at home’ scheme of work, or in a non-specialist classroom where you are unable to use specialist equipment, or for non-specialist teachers.
Ideally suited for students to use while at home, or during the summer holidays and beyond. The course will include techniques that are accessible to students of all key stages.
This online Training Room is aimed at Textile and Art teachers who are either new to teaching GCSE/A Level or those who want to add to their resources, learning easy to teach textiles skills and techniques and create a sketchbook resource that can be used in the classroom by students. The techniques will be linked to relevant artists and designers and we will show a creative process from sourcing primary to developing the ideas.
Each Training Room offers different selections of resources and techniques to build your skill base, your own resources and a techniques sketchbook.
This Training Room is the 6th in a series for Fabric Manipuation Skills and covers American Smocking; Shadowfolds; Paper Pleating, Paper Weaving & Paper Manipulation techniques, as examples to show design development to final outcome. You do not need a machine to complete any of the techniques and can be completed at home or in a non specialist classroom.
Each Course takes you through selecting a theme; How to source and select primary and gives suggestions for relevant artist/designers to base the techniques on. It then takes you through developing initial ideas and learning first how to do and then further develop the techniques.
The Fabric Manipulation Skills Series:
- Tucks, English & American Smocking
- Slashing & Fabric Weaving
- Shirring, Crashing & Heat Shibori
- Ruffles, Gathering & Pleating
- Shadowfolds, Paper & Fabric Manipulation
- Inspirational Techniques for Restricted Resources: American Smocking; Shadowfolds; Paper Pleating, Paper Weaving & Paper Manipulation
What you will gain by joining the Fabric Manipulation Skills Training Room:
Working through each unit you will learn how to choose a strong and workable theme, find inspiration through selecting appropriate artists and designers and develop primary sources into refined samples.
You will gain:
- An understanding of how to link themes, primary sources and contextual research of designers and artists.
- Clear and visual presentations, in bitesize units, to enable better teaching in art textiles and D&T.
- Clear and easy to follow short demonstrations on 'how to' do textiles techniques.
- Exemplar ideas for textiles design development and practical strategies to create a higher challenge classroom.
- Printable handouts of templates and step-by-step instructions for use in teaching.
- Useful video links to exemplar work of others.
- Guidance and info on other resources that could support your teaching.
- Learn, practice and make constructed techniques samplers using both machine and by hand.
- How to link these techniques to relevant artists and designers and take them forward in the design process.
- Link these constructed techniques to refined ideas for final outcomes and use these ideas in a sketch book or poster to use as a classroom resource.
- How this can be used by learners independently in the classroom
- Understand how to develop knowledge of constructed techniques from KS3, creating independent, confident and enthusiastic learners at KS4/5.
What is special about the Textiles Skills Centre Training Rooms?
This Textiles Skills Centre training room is an experience that delivers textiles skills, knowledge and understanding in bite sized units. It is a unique learning concept which allows you to learn at your own pace and still contribute, ask questions and network with other teachers through the training room discussion page.
Your curator is NICKY SIMPSON, a contemporary textiles artist, who has 12 years teaching experience, heading up Fashion & Textiles at Hillview School in Kent and a previous 22 year career as a print designer in the heart of London. She has also mentored many graduate trainees, taken workshops at the Knitting & Stitching show, volunteers as an art therapist and for the past 5 years, has been a workshop developer and leader for Textile and Art teachers on behalf of the Textile Skills Academy.
Advantages of joining the Constructed Textiles Skills Training Room?
- Work/study can be done at home as well as school
- No need to be away from your lessons
- 5-6 hours of training in a one stop shop
- No cover needed for your classes
- No travel arrangements or costs
- Best use of time: flexible access, revisit when needed, ready-to-use resources
- Unlimited access to the training room for 12 months from date of booking, with handouts to download and links to other useful resources.
- Nicky is always at hand to ask those nagging questions. Time and dates will be announced with the facebook course group and sent to you y email, with a request to join the session.
What Teachers are saying about the Training Rooms?
- "I have completed this course this weekend and really enjoyed myself. I brushed up on some techniques I already knew, and can now see some new ideas for them. I really enjoyed the new techniques that I had shied away from before, as I thought they would be too tricky! The tutorial videos are very clear with great demos. Can't wait to experiment more."
- "Wow, what a real treat your course is. AMAZING work.Would be super for any teacher, experienced or NQT. And a great place to share ideas and create a bank of ideas. You are offering so many resources for the money people will be paying. An absolute bargain at that price. I have thoroughly enjoyed working through the course."
- "Just a quick email. Started the course this morning. Doing honey comb unit this afternoon. So far extremely informative. Easy step by step instructions with clear delivery."
- "Hi, just completed the Online Constructed Skills course and really enjoyed making the samples. Have brushed up on a few skills – (the tucks) and have learnt new ones with the smocking, I have always wanted to try it but thought it might be too complicated. Just love the lattice – now I have that under my belt, I will be researching a few more techniques."
- "I've just completed an online Constructed Textiles course with the Textiles Skills Academy and I'd like to recommend it to anyone that teaches Art Textiles. I've wanted to attend one of their courses for a while now and with lock down I have managed to succeed. Its a great course! Full of help sheets, video tutorials and samples to make BUT best of all is that as its taught by teachers so it links perfectly to GCSE and A level AOs. I can't wait to get back into the classroom to share my new skills."
- "Thanks so much for today’s Zoom session, it was great to end the course with some live action 😁. I didn’t join in the conversations as I’m an art technician rather than a teacher. We don’t teach textiles at my school so when students want to use textiles they come to me. I’m really loving the techniques. I’ll sign up for the next one after half term." Sarah
Terms and conditions
Your ticket is not refundable or exchangeable once you have enrolled on the course. You can register and join at any time.
Once registered, teachers will be given UNLIMITED access to an on-line training room and all the resources for 12 months. Training provides videos of each presentation and handouts to download, demonstration videos for each technique, templates and images that you can use within school, links to further information and useful resources. It is your ONE STOP SHOP!
What do you need to gain access to the training room?
To access the training room you will need a Facebook account and access to the internet. The training can be accessed on a mobile device, tablet or computer.
To gain access to the Training Room after booking, you will be sent an order confrmation email which will have your link to the Training Room.
Click on the link and once in the Training Room you need to request to join. You will be asked 2 questions before being given access:
- Your Full Name.
- Agree to TSC rules, Terms & Conditions
Link to T&Cs: https://www.textilesskillscentre.com/online-course-tandc/
The Fabric Manipulation Skills Training Rooms are developed by Textiles Skills Centre
This Training Room is one of a series developed on Fabric Manipulation Skills.
Visit our website for more online courses and other events: https://www.textileskillscentre.com/online-events/
The Textiles Skills Centre also manages the Facebook Closed Group for teachers. To join the closed group go to: TEXTILE TEACHERS CENTRE